Archiving file sets

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Archiving file sets

Post by PhilHibbs »

I have to archive a large File Set and keep the last 7 days' data. As I understand it, a .fs file is just a link to where the actual data is stored, and this file can be moved around at will, as the location reference is absolute and not relative. So I can just rename the .fs file and move it to an archive directory, then delete (using the correct tool) the File Set when it is over 7 days old, and everything will be ok. Is that correct?
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Assuming you mean moving the blah.fs file, yes this is correct. Locations of the data files are stored as absolute pathnames within the descriptor file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
elsont
Participant

Re: Archiving file sets

Post by elsont »

PhilHibbs wrote:I have to archive a large File Set and keep the last 7 days' data. As I understand it, a .fs file is just a link to where the actual data is stored, and this file can be moved around at will, as the location reference is absolute and not relative. So I can just rename the .fs file and move it to an archive directory, then delete (using the correct tool) the File Set when it is over 7 days old, and everything will be ok. Is that correct?
The .fs file is the descriptor file which includes the data file paths and schema (metadata) of the data files. data files will be present in the disk pool (disk directory given in the config file) of the config file used to create the .fs. you can open the .fs and see the actual paths and schema. if you are planning to archive into tape or external disks, then you have to move the data files also.