Proble with datasets--One of the nodes is down.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suneyes
Participant

Proble with datasets--One of the nodes is down.

Post by suneyes »

Hi,
A dataset was created yesterday on a 3 node configuration.
Currently one among the 3 nodes is down.
We are currently running a job on 2 node configuration which uses this dataset.Thejob is failing with an error quoting that one among the three partitions is not available.

We have the dataset partition file created on the node which is currently down.Can we in any way place this dataset file on one of the two nodes currently runnig and point the datastage to pick the third partition from here..?
sun
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Unfortunately I do not believe that you can restore the partition to one of the other nodes and have it work. The location of the partitions are contained within the .ds header. You can certainly use a different configuration in your job then what was used to create the dataset, but I believe that all of the nodes that were used to create the dataset must be available when reading the dataset.

I am researching this a bit more and will let you know.
suneyes
Participant

Post by suneyes »

mhester wrote:Unfortunately I do not believe that you can restore the partition to one of the other nodes and have it work. The location of the partitions are contained within the .ds header. You can certainly use a different configuration in your job then what was used to create the dataset, but I believe that all of the nodes that were used to create the dataset must be available when reading the dataset.

I am researching this a bit more and will let you know.
Thanks Mike,
Please enlighten me if you find some other way to make the datset work..
sun
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The path information for the components is contained in the .ds file, which is a binary file and shouldn't be edited with a text editor. Can you simulate a logical link to that path using a symbolic link?
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Two options
1.) Restore dataset partitions from the failed node into a new one and organise so you can refer with the old particulars
2.) Perform a node copy of available node datasets and append the failed one with new forced configuration file property into the created ones.
suneyes
Participant

Post by suneyes »

Thanks For the replies folks..

As we are runningon an SMP configuration...the dataset files created by node2 are available in the shared memory..

IBM help desk provided solution to the problem.
they have suggested to change the configuration file so that the node2 in the configuration file points to some working node.

This worked fine for us
sun
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can you share with us how they had you "change the configuration file"? I was under the impression that they were generally not editable. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This would be the configuration file (not the Data Set descriptor file), and I'd think the advice would be to change it so as not to reference the node that is down. The Data Set (or at least the available part of it) could still be read.

The -x option for the orchadmin command (with a new configuration file) can have the same effect.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... gotcha.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
suneyes
Participant

Post by suneyes »

chulett wrote:Can you share with us how they had you "change the configuration file"? I was under the impression that they were generally not editable. :?

Yes ,in our case the changes have been made to configuration file.
But modifying a dataset descriptor file can also be done.

It can be edited in the hexadecimal mode in the text editor like ultraedit

I just changed the references to the failed node to some working node and ...dataset management tool was able to read the contents of that dataset..
sun