ODBC vs DB2 Connector Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ggarze
Premium Member
Premium Member

ODBC vs DB2 Connector Stage

Post by ggarze »

Has anyone seen more reliablity with the ODBC connector stage compared to the DB2 connector stage? I'm new to parallel and I like the performance of the DB2 connector especially settign it to insert new update existing. However, I been hit or miss with the stage as there were times I'd change just the array size and the job wold fail. Then I'd change it back and then I'd get what didn't appear to even be a db2 error but something with DataStage. I'd delete the stage and re-add it an it would work fine.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are very many "funny" things with the DB2 Connector. We experience erratic behaviour connecting to DB2 on a mainframe. But the DB2 Connector is very new - presumably IBM will iron out some of the faults we (the users) have reported. After all, DB2's fairly important to them!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

There are numerous fixes for the connectors on 8.1 including one rollup patch just for connector fixes. I'm on the latest patch and it really increased stability and reduced problems.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ggarze
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ggarze »

We currently are on 8.1.0.1 (which is fix pack one) Not sure if there are additional patches to the Db2 connector after this.

So, have either of you used the ODBC connector with better results?
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The ODBC connector is the oldest of all the connectors so presumably it is the safest. You would expect IBM to get the DB2 connector right given their access to the DB2 development team! There are a couple fix pack releases and an 8.1.2 release of the foundation tools that might help.