Can we protect a portion of project?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

koolnitz
Participant

Can we protect a portion of project?

Post by koolnitz »

Greetings to All !

Requirement is to restrict access/ protect/ hide a set of jobs placed under a specific category from a group of developers. Ideal would be if they can be barred to access a particular category. Even if they have Read Only access is acceptable.

Kindly let me know if there's a way to achieve this. Rendered by some business decision, two diff teams are asked to share the same project and work on their separate categories. However, there's always a risk that developers from one team mess up other team's jobs.

Thanks!
Last edited by koolnitz on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nitin Jain | India

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

You will need to create a separate project and put the restricted job in it. There is no facility to restrict jobs within a project
Jim Stewart
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

You could export the jobs that you want, modify the dsx file to change the ReadOnly flag to 1 and re-import it. However, please keep in mind that this is a manual process and having some jobs as read-only and some without will be a little messy.
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
arunkumarmm
Participant

Post by arunkumarmm »

vivekgadwal wrote:You could export the jobs that you want, modify the dsx file to change the ReadOnly flag to 1 and re-import it. However, please keep in mind that this is a manual process and having some jobs as read-only and some without will be a little messy.
But by doing this way no one will be able to edit those jobs right?
Arun
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's right.

Jobs are records in tables, not files in directories. Therefore there's no file system permission based approach.

Currently DataStage does not include a per-job or per-category permission mechanism. As Raftsman noted the only solution is to use a different project.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

arunkumarmm wrote: But by doing this way no one will be able to edit those jobs right?
Yes. I agree. I do not recommend that, but I was just suggesting a way to make them read-only in the project.
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
koolnitz
Participant

Post by koolnitz »

Thanks All for your responses.

We do not want to toggle the jobs between RO and RW modes, as the developers will regularly be working on their respective jobs. So, this work-around is not working for us.

As I mentioned, due to some biz decision, we can neither create separate projects.

I understand DataStage, at present, does not provide option what I had been seeking for.
Nitin Jain | India

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.