Unable to trim the data -loading into db2 bulk load stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

merzila
Participant

Unable to trim the data -loading into db2 bulk load stage

Post by merzila »

Unable to trim the data while loading into target using db2 bulk load stage. The target column is CHAR datatype. But data gets trimmed when i use DB2 API stage. Can some one help me on fixing this issue.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You cannot trim a CHAR column. A Char(3) column always contains 3 characters, a TRIM(' ':' ':' ') put into a Char(3) column remains as 3 spaces.

What is the exact problem?
merzila
Participant

Post by merzila »

The problem is we need to trim the data while we load into DB2 bulk stage. It is loaded with spaces for CHAR column. But with API stage we are able to load the data porperly for the same CHAR column.Is there any additional property or environmental variable that need to be defined for Bulk stage.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Could you please give an example of what is not working? As noted before, a CHAR() column cannot be trimmed of excess spaces, so I am unclear as to what the problem is that you are experiencing.
merzila
Participant

Post by merzila »

Hi,

please find the sample value when i loaded the data using API stage and Bulk stage.

API Stage:
Column1 (CHAR 15)
--------------------

Bulk Stage:
Column1 (CHAR 15)
--------------------
0717866--------

Note: i hve given --- to indicate the spaces

The sample given in Bulk stage is loaded with 7 digits where as remaining place values are padded with spaces. But this s not happening for same Char (15) column using API stage. I completly understand that a CHAR column be trimmed. but am not sure how the data loaded using API got trimmed.

Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Even if the source data in the API were trimmed without trailing blanks, they would be re-inserted by the database, since a Char(15) column must contains 15 characters.
Is there is a difference in database content between the two methods?
merzila
Participant

Post by merzila »

Yes,

when i load the data thr API, and select the value cursor points upto 7 digits for CHAR 15 column and in BULK stage upto 7 digits values are loaded and remaining 8 place values are padded with spaces.

API Stage:
Column1 (CHAR 15)
--------------------

Bulk Stage:
Column1 (CHAR 15)
--------------------
0717866--------

Note: i hve given --- to indicate the spaces
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

My point is that after the API stage inserts the data into the DB it will have the exact same value as with the bulk stage.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Perhaps the API stage is padding with something other than spaces? As noted, it cannot behave as if it were a varchar so something must be there... what is your PADCHAR?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
merzila
Participant

Post by merzila »

hi,

I used $APT_STRING_PADCHAR=0x0 set at project level
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Check and see if your field is indeed being padded with that character, in Oracle I would use the dump() function, hopefully there is some kind of DB2 equivalent.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
arun_im4u
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by arun_im4u »

Replace your API stage with a Sequential file and write into it as a test. Open the file in Unix and check if the char column is padded with null character or something else.

Char type will be padded with spaces as Craig/ArndW have already mentioned.