APT_BadAlloc: Heap allocation failed - SCD DataStage 8.1.2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bkamila
Premium Member
Premium Member

APT_BadAlloc: Heap allocation failed - SCD DataStage 8.1.2

Post by bkamila »

Hi All,

This not same as previously discussed topics relating to APT_BadAlloc.

I have developed a Parallel Job using Oracle Connector as source, lookups, and target. Then added SCD to it. It reads about 5 mil from previous table and compares with source rows (that has 5 mil too). It reads the previous tables and lookups without problem. After reading the 2 mill rows from source, it stops for 5/6 mins. Then it terminates with APT_BadAlloc: Heap allocation failed.

Experts, I will appreciate your help in this matter.

Cheers, Bana
BANA KAMILA
BI, Data Warehouse and Database Consultant
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Pls click 'search' on APT_BadAlloc in the forum. It would give lot of options on which this issue happened.

If your code does not have any nested loops then best way would be to increase the space and try.

Regards
Sreeni
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Could be a bug with the Connector stage, me thinks.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

I had faced this buy when reading the xml file in a nested form (i.e mapping all attributes which do not have an @text). But when i removed unnecessary nested mappings this bug was removed.

increasing space will resolve the issue but there is a high chance that the logic being developed in the job is going in a nested loop.

Regards
Sreeni
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

This sounds completely different to me, what with connectors for source, lookup and target. Increasing the heap size is probably just delaying the inevitable and sounds more like a workaround than a solution to me. [shrug]
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bkamila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: APT_BadAlloc: Heap allocation failed - SCD DataStage 8.1

Post by bkamila »

Hi All,

I don't want to be critical. I have noticed that members or non-memebrs suggest something without understanding a problem, which is not very helpful for a person who raised the issue(s). And then talk about problems, which are completely unrelated.

By searching APT_BadAlloc in the forum could have solved my problem, I would not post this.

The problem lies in the resource limitation of windows 32 bit server. It can't handle 5 mil rows record to perform SCD processes (compare and ins/update) in the SCD stage.

Chulett is right. It's a work around beyond SCD stage.

Bana
BANA KAMILA
BI, Data Warehouse and Database Consultant