Replacing single quote with two single quotes in Transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bhargav_dd
Premium Member
Premium Member

Replacing single quote with two single quotes in Transformer

Post by bhargav_dd »

Hi all,
I'm trying to read a csv file and convert it to an output file to be read by another program. The problem I'm having is with embedded single quotes in the input file.
For example, if I have in the input csv file:

123,Michael's Place,123 Main St.
I want the output to look like:
'123' 'Michael''s Place' '123 Main St.'
It's easy enough to surround the strings with the single quotes, but how can I replace one single quote with two single quotes?
Convert function won't work because it's a one to one replacement for each character in the list and new.list.
Are there any other tricks or functions I could use?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Is this a server or a parallel job and, if it is a parallel job, can it be made into a server job or use a BASIC transform stage - in which case the

Code: Select all

EREPLACE(YourString,"'","''")
function would work for you. If the number of single quotes is limited to one or two, then you can use a PX transform stage with stage variables and utilize subsequent INDEX(YourString,"'",1) to find the first occurrence then modify the string with a NewString = OldString[1,SingleQuotePos]:"'":OldString[SingleQuotePos+1,9999]
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why not use double quotes as the quote character? Then you don't need to change the single quotes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
cristty
Participant

Post by cristty »

If you only have one single quote, this should work in a transformer:

If Index(DSLink2.col,"'",1) <> 0 then Field(DSLink2.col,"'",1) : ("":'"':"") : Field(DSLink2.col,"'",2) else DSLink2.col