Need to install NLS for Chinese characters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

n.parameswara.reddy@accen
Participant

Need to install NLS for Chinese characters

Post by n.parameswara.reddy@accen »

Hi friends.

I Need to install NLS for Chinese characters (1 Chinese character is equal to 2 bytes).

please give me the better solution for the issue

Advance Thanks for your help.

param
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What kind of "better solution" are you looking for? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Need to install NLS for Chinese characters

Post by ray.wurlod »

n.parameswara.reddy@accen wrote: I Need to install NLS for Chinese characters
Go ahead. Do it. Make sure you get the right map (simplified or traditional) for the character set in your data.
n.parameswara.reddy@accen wrote: (1 Chinese character is equal to 2 bytes).
This is not necessarily the case, particularly for traditional Chinese, which may have 1, 2, 3 or even 4 bytes for a character (and different lengths for different characters), again depending on which actual encoding is being used.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Participant

Re: Need to install NLS for Chinese characters

I designed and tested the job for 500 rows of Chinese data. The job successfully executing but the fields having the Chinese data arae loaded as ??? or blank data in file.

When iam using NLS Map as gb18030,GB_2312-80 no data is loading.

When UTF-8 is taken as NLS Map data is loading in to normal fields but problem with chinese data(loaded as ??? or blank data in file) as i told above.

please help me what needs to do for this issue? :)
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Step by step.

What is your source and what stage are you using to read it? Don't use "view data" to determine whether or not data is being correctly transferred.
Participant

ArndW wrote:Step by step.

What is your source and what stage are you using to read it? Don't use "view data" to determine whether or not data is being correctly transferred. ...

my source is Sequential file and the target is DB2. loaded the chines data into DB2 database with utf8(NLS). it was loaded as ????.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Start with a simple job that takes your sequential file and reads it using the file's NLS set of GB_2312-80 (assuming that is the file's setting), then write to another sequential file in unicode format and look at the file in Unicode to see if the contents are correctly mapped. Once you have that working you know that your problem is not in the read part but somewhere else.