Does a messy table definition repository affect performance?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SBSA_DW2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Does a messy table definition repository affect performance?

Post by SBSA_DW2 »

Hi

Is there a relationship between the number fo table definitions in the repository and the impact on performance of the jobs?

I can think that the repository which stores everything will be impacted and that at a minimum job start-up time will be impacted, but will the runtime of a job be impacted?

I'm trying to motivate for a cleaner table definition space. I'm sure everyone will agree that the following is useless:
Category: Saved
Data Source: Aaaaa
Table Definition: _aaaaaaaaaa
:x
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, there's no impact on the performance of the jobs that I've ever seen. The performance of the job coder, perhaps, but not the jobs themselves. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Although I concur with Craig, I can imagine a scenario when logging to the repository at 8.1 and beyond and the repository is full of both log files and table definitions that it might impact runtime performance, particularly if a lot of records get written to the job log.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

OK, sure, anything that makes either the Universe or XMETA repositories full would be a Bad Thing.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
SBSA_DW2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by SBSA_DW2 »

thanks for the responses - i'll feedback to the team.