Load into Fixed length file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sureshreddy2009
Participant

Load into Fixed length file

Post by sureshreddy2009 »

Hi,

I have a delimited file , I am reading that through sequential file stage after that I am using aggregator,lookup and transformer as a part of transformation process, Finally I want to load into a fixed length file , How can I load into this file and what are the options to select in sequential file stage at target level.
Suresh Reddy
ETL Developer
Research Operations

"its important to know in which direction we are moving rather than where we are"
antonyraj.deva
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Load into Fixed length file

Post by antonyraj.deva »

If the file's table definition is defined as fixed length columns, then the load will be automatically done.

Firstly, Did you try loading data in to the target file? :?:

Thanks,
Tony
sureshreddy2009
Participant

The job is running successfull and the data is also loaded into file but not in the format i expected.
As you said there is no option directly saying that fixed length, there are 8 columns in my output, the sum of length of all columns is 112, so i mentioned 112 as a value in the option record length which is there in the format tab of sequential file stage, still the data is not coming as expected.
The data is coming like this.
Batch_ID file_name stage_count target_count status
1 address 23 34 success
2 client 34 23 failure

But i need the data like

1 address 23 34 success
2 client 34 23 failure
Suresh Reddy
ETL Developer
Research Operations

"its important to know in which direction we are moving rather than where we are"
sureshreddy2009
Participant

My expected file is like the following
I am pasting again as the format in previous post is not proper
even if null is coming in any value it has to give spaces equal to length
Suresh Reddy
ETL Developer
Research Operations

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Change your output sequential file stage format to fixed-width fields and no delimiters.
antonyraj.deva
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Load into Fixed length file

Post by antonyraj.deva »

antonyraj.deva wrote:If the file's table definition is defined as fixed length columns, then the load will be automatically done.
In the table definition if the length of the columns are specified exactly, then the nulls also will have spaces equal to the length mentioned.
sureshreddy2009 wrote:The data is coming like this.
1 address 23 34 success
2 client 34 23 failure

But i need the data like

1 address 23 34 success
2 client 34 23 failure

Is there any difference between the requirement and the current output... :?

Thanks,
Tony
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

And, as noted, the Null Field Value for fixed width must contain the same number of characters as are defined for the field.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sureshreddy2009
Participant

But Null Filed Value () option will take the value common for all , Here i have different length for different columns so, How can I mention the null field value specific to fields.I am stilll working on it to get desired output.

Basically my need is i am creating a file using datastage and that file contians 8 columns ,first one is batchid and next 5 columns are count columns and last 2 columns are varchar fields .
after datastage one script is running to mail the contents of this mail as body in the mail, the body in the mail is in jumbled format and not in a readable format.so I decided to load in a fixed length format to view the report perfectly when we get the mail , this is a audit balance report for checking the record count
Suresh Reddy
ETL Developer
Research Operations

sureshreddy2009
Participant

But Null Filed Value () option will take the value common for all , Here i have different length for different columns so, How can I mention the null field value specific to fields.I am stilll working on it to get desired output.

Basically my need is i am creating a file using datastage and that file contians 8 columns ,first one is batchid and next 5 columns are count columns and last 2 columns are varchar fields .
after datastage one script is running to mail the contents of this mail as body in the mail, the body in the mail is in jumbled format and not in a readable format.so I decided to load in a fixed length format to view the report perfectly when we get the mail , this is a audit balance report for checking the record count
Suresh Reddy
ETL Developer
Research Operations

vinnz
Participant

Post by vinnz »

How can I mention the null field value specific to fields.
In your target Sequential File stage, go to the Columns tab, right click on a column and choose 'Edit Row'. Then specify the Null Field Value for each column under the Nullable properties. As noted, specify the null field value for each column with the same number of characters as the length