Sparse look up

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

badga
Participant

Sparse look up

Post by badga »

Hi,

I am new to datastage, learning the basic concepts of all the stages.
Can anyone help me,when to use sparse lookup? What is the difference between normal & sparse look up? And Also how to do a 'Cross Join'?
Thanks & Regards,
Badga.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

A "normal" lookup will read all of the reference data into memory to speed up subsequent lookups. A "sparse" lookup will perform a read of the reference for each data row. The latter is best when there are a large number of reference rows and just a few data rows, or where the reference data values can change during the course of a single run.

A "cross join" is an inner join where the condition is always met.
badga
Participant

Post by badga »

Thanks for your quick reply.. :D
So for sparse look up you mean to say that the reference data will not be loaded into RAM for comparision?
Is their any option in Look up stage where we can specify the look up as 'Sparse look up'?
Thanks & Regards,
Badga.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Yes (normal lookup loaded into RAM)
Yes (specify normal or sparse lookup in the source DB stage)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sparse lookup is only supported against certain databases (DB2 and Oracle, if memory serves), and the option to use it is actually made on the database stage rather than in the Lookup stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srini.dw
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by srini.dw »

ArndW wrote:A "cross join" is an inner join where the condition is always met.
I know its old post, but the information is wrong, just want to highlight

CROSS JOIN returns the Cartesian product of rows from tables in the join. In other words, it will produce rows which combine each row from the first table with each row from the second table.