DataStage job hangs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

new_dsuser
Participant

DataStage job hangs

Post by new_dsuser »

Hello,

I have a job which hangs when it is kicked off. I can't see much info in the log to see where it is hanging. The job is stuck at this step:

main_program: APT configuration file: /dsinst001/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Configurations/config2x.apt
{
node "node1"
{
fastname "ttstsza8011"
pools ""
resource disk "/dstemp001/is8/Datasets" {pools ""}
resource scratchdisk "/dstemp001/is8/Scratch" {pools ""}
}
node "node2"
{
fastname "ttstsza8011"
pools ""
resource disk "/dstemp001/is8/Datasets" {pools ""}
resource scratchdisk "/dstemp001/is8/Scratch" {pools ""}
}
}

The job is sourcing from an Oracle table and loading another Oracle table. I don't have the privileges to check if there is a table lock. Is there a way to know if it is indeed stuck at the source query or at some other steps?

Cheers!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

That's not a step - it's the log entry containing the configuration file that the job is using.

Clearly the job, being such a simple design, is waiting for *something* in Oracle. Enlist your DBA to learn what that is.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
new_dsuser
Participant

Post by new_dsuser »

Thanks Ray. I tuned the query a bit and it's running fine now. Thanks again.
devo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Database hanging

Post by devo »

I wondered if you could add a little more to this. I have the same issue, and I agree that this is a database issue. I will be speaking with my DBAs about new indexes. That being said, I would prefer the Datastage job to timeout and fail rather than simply hanging. If it fails we will get notified and we can address the issue. If it hangs, we don't know anything is wrong until someone realizes the job didn't finish. Are there any settings we could check to cause the job to timeout and fail rather than hanging?
Grant Dever
Programmer Analyst Sr