parameter set usage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArunaDas_Maharana
Participant

parameter set usage

Post by ArunaDas_Maharana »

hi,

Please clarify the usage of parameter set in datastage 8.0 & above.

I was hoping that this will work independently and any change in this component need not require recompilation of jobs using this.

But it never happened we have to recompile or even worst sometimes reconfigure the same component to the jobs who are using this component already.

Here's the question whts the usage of this or benefit apart from reusabilty??

Thanks,
Aruna
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Exactly what kind of changes are you making that require recompiles or 'reconfiguration' of the jobs that use them? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArunaDas_Maharana
Participant

I meant if value set's values are changed. It's not reflected in the job unless you reconfigure & recompile the job with the same parameter set.

My understanding towards parameter set was it's a centralised component where any changes made to value will reflect to the jobs using that component.

But i don't see that's happening in order to reflect the changes that parameter set needs to be mapped again before compilation.

What value addition it made! apart from reusing.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks,
Aruna
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can you be more specific? What "values" are you talking about - adding new parameters to the set? Changing a default value? And can you clarify what exactly you mean by "reconfigure" here? Just want to ensure we're understanding the issue.
-craig

ArunaDas_Maharana
Participant

changing values in dataset like suppose username. By reconfiguring i ment in order to reflect the new user which is changed in the same parameter set recompilation is not working instead i have to go in job parameters and select the same parameter set again to relect the change!
chowdhury99
Participant

Post by chowdhury99 »

You could define those values in User Define Variable[project level] at DataStage Admin.

Thanks
ArunaDas_Maharana
Participant

yes you are correct i can do that and reffer them using $PROJDEV. I just wanted to know what value addition parameter set has done in 8.0 & above. anyways thanks for all your replies.
chowdhury99
Participant

Post by chowdhury99 »

Parameter Set helps you reuse the whole set and when you need to change you only change in one place instead of every job.

Thanks
ArunaDas_Maharana
Participant

i don't see that's happening in version 8.0
ArunaDas_Maharana
Participant

i don't see that's happening in version 8.0
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you literally mean 8.0, make sure you either have all of the "fixpacks" installed or you upgrade to the latest 8.1.x release. Many problems early on, perhaps you are seeing one.
-craig

ArunaDas_Maharana
Participant

ugradation worked thanks chulett!