Location of actual data in datasets

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Suman
Participant

Location of actual data in datasets

Post by Suman »

In Dataset Management while copying a dataset without giving any explicit path which location the dataset gets created. Also .ds is the descriptor file. Where is the actual location of the records in the dataset. Is it a single path or multiple path in the disk.

Regards,
Suman
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

Gurus,

I was doing a quick search in the Forum regarding more information about datasets including the above question,

Can you please explain (or point to forum locations if this was previously discussed? )

When I go through the documentation " It just says that dataset stores data in a persistant form)
From the documentation , a dataset is an OS file managed by a control file.

What does this exactly mean,
Do we create datasets from sequential files and use these files instead of sequential files?

what are we achiving by using datasets? Where can we look at the actual data ?

Thank you
anbu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by anbu »

Dataset Path is mentioned in resource disk in Configuration file
You are the creator of your destiny - Swami Vivekananda
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Location of actual data in datasets

Post by ray.wurlod »

Suman wrote:In Dataset Management while copying a dataset without giving any explicit path which location the dataset gets created. Also .ds is the descriptor file. Where is the actual location of the records in the dataset. Is it a single path or multiple path in the disk.

Regards,
Suman
Multiple, determined by the number of resource disk references in the current configuration file. The actual files have system-generated names, which are recorded in the descriptor file. This is not a text file; use the Data Set Management tool to learn the location of the segment files (select any node and these are in the bottom grid).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

devsonali wrote:Gurus,

I was doing a quick search in the Forum regarding more information about datasets including the above question,

Can you please explain (or point to forum locations if this was previously discussed? )

When I go through the documentation " It just says that dataset stores data in a persistant form)
From the documentation , a dataset is an OS file managed by a control file.

What does this exactly mean,
Do we create datasets from sequential files and use these files instead of sequential files?

what are we achiving by using datasets? Where can we look at the actual data ?

Thank you
Don't hijack someone else's thread unless you have exactly the same question. Here you don't. Please start a new thread. It will make life easier for future searchers.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
devsonali
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by devsonali »

Sorry about that, I will post a new thread.
Suman
Participant

Re: Location of actual data in datasets

Post by Suman »

ray.wurlod wrote:
Suman wrote:In Dataset Management while copying a dataset without giving any explicit path which location the dataset gets created. Also .ds is the descriptor file. Where is the actual location of ...
I could not view the response. I am assuming that the resource disk path written inside the config file for each node stores the dataset data.

Regards,
Suman
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Premium membership will allow you to view the entire contents, and receive other benefits too.

Meanwhile, spend some time investigating what the Data Set Management tool can show you about segment files.
Suman
Participant

Post by Suman »

ray.wurlod wrote:Premium membership will allow you to view the entire contents, and receive other benefits too.

Meanwhile, spend some time investigating what the Data Set Management tool can show you about segment files.
I did check in the dataset management and the segment file paths. The data is stored in segments in each of this path for each node. Thank you all.
Regards,
Suman