Password as Environment variable

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kamalshil
Participant

Password as Environment variable

Post by kamalshil »

Hi,

In development environment.
My job design for passing passwords i have used the user defined environment variables(in both job and sequence).

I pass this values to the job by sequence.
It was working fine in development environment.

But when i moved my code and changed the database user id & password to point to new database in datastage administrator.

My jobs are failing by saying invalid user id/password.

Code: Select all

main_program: aptoci.C:329   failed. Message: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
aptoci.C:329   failed. Message: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
aptoci.C:329   failed. Message: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
But when while running the job and i pass value manually at run time it is running fine.

Any suggestions on this?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you make the environment variable Encrypted type?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kamalshil
Participant

Post by kamalshil »

ray.wurlod wrote:Did you make the environment variable Encrypted type? ...
Yes.It is Encrypted in all the job and sequence.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look in the log file for each run type (alone and from sequence) and see what's being passed as this parameter. Compare the values. Please also advise your exact version of DataStage.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kamalshil
Participant

Post by kamalshil »

ray.wurlod wrote:Look in the log file for each run type (alone and from sequence) and see what's being passed as this parameter. Compare the values. Please also advise your exact version of DataStage.
Hi Ray,
From log file nothing can be found as it is showing the password in cipher form.
For Sequence it is shown as

PASSWORD=LDC@0;K@L93?0OD
For job it is shown as

PASSWORD=LDC@0;K@L93?0OD
And
I am using Ascential DataStage(tm) Enterprise Edition 7.5.1A
nikhilanshuman
Participant

Post by nikhilanshuman »

In the job parameters of your sequence,go to the password parameter and set its value to

$PROJDEF .

Type this manually in the value field for password environment variable.You will see only ** as the value is encrypted.

It seems that the password environment variable is imported,but it's value is set to your dev password.

If the password field is imported in dev,the dev password is assigned to the password env variable.When the code is moved to the other region,the password does not change.It maintains the older value.Hence,the value of password field should always be set to $PROJDEF.
Nikhil
kamalshil
Participant

Post by kamalshil »

Thanks nikhilanshuman ,
After adding it as $PROJDEF in sequence i am able to run the sequence.
nikhilanshuman
Participant

Post by nikhilanshuman »

kamalshil wrote:Thanks nikhilanshuman ,
After adding it as $PROJDEF in sequence i am able to run the sequence.
Welcome! :)
Nikhil
ramu_200c
Participant

Thank YOU

Post by ramu_200c »

Hi Nikhil,

Thank you. I find this thread when I was searching the similar issue. By this I could resolve the issue(DS 8.0.1). A ton of thanks dude.
My personal email : ramtorule@gmail.com

nikhilanshuman wrote:In the job parameters of your sequence,go to the password parameter and set its value to

$PROJDEF .

Type this manually in the value field for password environment variable.You will see only ** as the value is encrypted :shock: .

It seems that the password environment variable is imported,but it's value is set to your dev password.

If the password field is imported in dev,the dev password is assigned to the password env variable.When the code is moved to the other region,the password does not change.It maintains the older value.Hence,the value of password field should always be set to $PROJDEF.
ramu_200c
Participant

Thank YOU

Post by ramu_200c »

Hi Nikhil,

Thank you. I find this thread when I was searching the similar issue. By this I could resolve the issue(DS 8.0.1). A ton of thanks dude.
My personal email : ramtorule@gmail.com

nikhilanshuman wrote:In the job parameters of your sequence,go to the password parameter and set its value to

$PROJDEF .

Type this manually in the value field for password environment variable.You will see only ** as the value is encrypted :shock: .

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

KAULALAMPUR ?!!