DB2z stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

DB2z stage

Post by Bill_G »

Has anyone configured this stage to work with IBM's BatchPipes for z/OS?

I want to read in mulitple streams of data from BatchPipes and was curious if this stage is a viable option.

TIA
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Looking at the stage, it appears that the BatchPipe option is only available when using the DB2Z stage as a target.

Would anyone know how to read data from IBM's BatchPipe program?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I was, recently, in talks with IBM hoping to have the z load stage for server. Alas, its only for enterprise edition. But in my conversations with them, I discovered that in order to use the batch pipes option, you need to install and configure batch pipes on the mainframe.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Is it also your understanding that DB2Z can only be used with BatchPipes while using DB2Z as a target stage? Not as a source?

Have you been successful in configuring another stage to use BatchPipes as a source?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I was not able to get the plugin as I mentioned in my previous post. Its only for enterprise edition. My current shop only has server edition.
What does the manual say about it? The best advise to you would be to get in touch with IBM. They will be able to tell you for sure.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

I was hoping the docmentation was lacking and that there was a workaround that would allow the use of this stage to source a batch pipes feed. However IBM confirmed that is not the case. You can only use this stage to source directly from DB2 z/OS tables. Batch Pipes is supported if using this stage (DB2Z) as a target.

I have asked IBM if there is another method to source Batch Pipes (FTP maybe?). I'll post back with any work around I find in case it benefits someone else.

Thanks for your time.

Bill
sun rays
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by sun rays »

This stage is a mess if used with batchpipes option for loading data. It's way too compicated and many things go wrong while loading. Some of these issues don't even have any fixes as of now. As an example, if you have any RI constraints or FK violation during the build index phase of your load, then it simply aborts saying unable to open DCB sysmap.... This is just one such issue. Again this is when you use this tage as a target.