Read a file from Mainframe server & write it to a UNIX b

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSFreddie
Participant

Read a file from Mainframe server & write it to a UNIX b

Post by DSFreddie »

Hi All, I am trying to read a VSAM file from Mainframe Server & move it to the UNIX box for further processing. I know that we could ftp this file from Mainframe server to UNIX box. But since the file is huge (250GB), I do not want to FTP the file.

Can you pls tell me a way to read the file from Mainframe server & write it to UNIX box for further processing.
Last edited by DSFreddie on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

Why not FTP? The same volume of data will be moved.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

as specified by ray , you have to transfer the file anyways so do SFTP or FTP
Nag
DSFreddie
Participant

Re: Read a file from Mainframe server & write it to a UN

Post by DSFreddie »

Thanks a lot for your replies. The issue is that the file is very huge (250GB). The client doesnt want to go for an FTP/SFTP. Also, this is a Daily Batch & FTP process itself is going to take lot of time.

Any other workaround will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The only normal method of getting data from a host to a server is via FTP or a derivative (i.e. connect:direct or FLAM or the like). If you don't want to land the data on the UNIX machine you could use the DataStage FTP stage to read the data line-by-line and process it; but then you would need to build in restartability.

What format is this file in?
DSFreddie
Participant

Post by DSFreddie »

Thanks for your response.

It is a VSAM file (Cobol Layout). I am actually trying to find a way through which we could accomplish this without using an FTP stage.

Thanks in advance.
Freddie
DSFreddie
Participant

Post by DSFreddie »

Thanks for your response.

It is a VSAM file (Cobol Layout). I am actually trying to find a way through which we could accomplish this without using an FTP stage.

Thanks in advance.
Freddie
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Look into Classic Federation. Then you can access datasets, vsams and all that good stuff via odbc connectors.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
DSFreddie
Participant

Post by DSFreddie »

DSFreddie wrote:Hi All, I am trying to read a VSAM file from Mainframe Server & move it to the UNIX box for further processing. I know that we could ftp this file from Mainframe server to UNIX box. But since the file is huge (250GB), I do not want to FTP the file.

Can you pls tell me a way to read the file from Mainframe server & write it to UNIX box for further processing.