StringToDecimal Conversion issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mchaves
Participant

StringToDecimal Conversion issue

Post by mchaves »

A question to the pros....

I've got a parallel job that is reading numbers (figures) from a varchar2 field of an oracle table and converting those figures into decimal(38,2) dataset field using the function stringtodecimal within a transformer.

When I check the dataset, the column contains only values like this 000000000000.00. I suspect that it may be related to some values that are not decimals (ex 23, 45, 78 ) but it's converting all the values into 000000000000.00 including the values the are decimals (43435.45, 234000.00).

Any clues?

Thanks
A bad fishing day is much better than a great day at work
kannantechno
Participant

Post by kannantechno »

Try without using StringtoDecimal function,

Source column Datatype as (Oracle) ---> Varchar2
TX ---> Decimal(38,2)
Target column Datatype as ---> Decimal(38,2)

Try the above suggestion and let me know
Regards,
Kannan
zulfi123786
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by zulfi123786 »

Before converting a varchar to Decimal its a good practise to check if the record contains compatible values that can be converted to decimals ussing the IsValid() function. Datastage converts all non-numerics to all 0's when converting chars to decimals.
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

Throw a few down a peek stage giving the before and after values. Put quotes or brackets around the before value to see if there are spaces (I'm not one to remember how the function treats spaces...)

If still not obvious, convert the before value to hex and see if any non-numeric non-display characters are lurking
mchaves
Participant

Post by mchaves »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips. They helped me to pip point the issue.

Basically, the data files had chr(13) at the end of a few fields.

So, I what I did to resolve this problem was to remove this character using the function "trim(field, char(13))" and let the transformer do an implicit conversion from varchar to decimal (38,2).

Appreciate the help from this forum.

All the best.

Mchaves
A bad fishing day is much better than a great day at work
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Looks like a 'dos2unix' issue .

Regards
Sreeni
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That would be true if the 'extra' pesky <CR> was part of the record terminator, however they were allegedly 'at the end of a few fields' so a different solution was required it seems.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers