Unable to login to DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Are you connecting through something like Citrix or a similar application?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

How many client users are you licensed for? This sets an upper limit on the number of machines that may simultaneously be connected.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

On the server, in the DataStage engine directory, execute the following command from an operating shell after executing the dsenv script.

Code: Select all

$DSHOME/bin/uv -admin -lic_report
Client license seats available and in use are reported at the end of the report.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chpraveen.msc
Participant

Post by chpraveen.msc »

Hi All i am facing a similar issue. We have a big team at offshore accessing the servers through citrix

(users) -----Citrix-----> (Client) <-----> (Engine)

After certain number of user login to the server through(sorry i was not able to give the exact number). We are not able to create new session.

1.Can you please help me understand whether is that due to a licensed user limit . (or) could it be any issue on the CITRIX box.

Number of clients we are licensed for is 45.

2. 45 license means - I am assuming that we can open a maximum of 45 designer &45 director&45 Administrator windows concurrently, at a given time.

Also just want to confirm

3. Say if we have 45 individual client tool users and if "user 1" alone opens 45 designer windows on the same machine(rest 44 users being off) will we be able to open 46th designer window.

Just trying to understand how it works.Apologies, if it seems like a dumb question.
HariK
Participant

Post by HariK »

1. I am not sure. We never faced any issue because of Citrix.

2. 45 Client licenses mean 45 concurrent DataStage client instances. it does not mean 45 Designer + 45 director + 45 Admin + 45 Manager.
for example -- if user 1 opened 10 designers, user 2 opened 10 directors , user 3 opened 10 managers + user 4 opened 5 admin + user 5 opened 10 clients of any kind. then 10 + 10 + 10 + 5 + 10 = 45 licenses all consumed at that point of time and no new client instances will be allowed.

3. The point 2 should answer this as well.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

45 users client license implies clients for 45 different ip-address can connect to the server concurrently. So it is not 45 of each client software.

Sometimes- in older versions - some client installation might have happened with less license. This has caused problems even if the new one has higher value.

Also do the first login attempt from each software as an user with admin priviledge on your local PC.
chpraveen.msc
Participant

Post by chpraveen.msc »

Sainath and hari Thanks for your valuable inputs. I still have a some confusion based on your replies.

Per Sainath: 45 client license means 45 different users( with different ip address) can login at any give time. Does it mean if user1 opens 5 differnet client tools (say 2 designer,1 director and 1 administrator window). Will rest 44 users can still open different n number of different client tools (as long as the ip address are different) at the same time.
chpraveen.msc
Participant

Post by chpraveen.msc »

Experts can you please put me out of the confusion.... and helep me understand the process. :(
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

chpraveen.msc wrote:Per Sainath: 45 client license means 45 different users( with different ip address) can login at any give time. Does it mean if user1 opens 5 differnet client tools (say 2 designer,1 director and 1 administrator window). Will rest 44 users can still open different n number of different client tools (as long as the ip address are different) at the same time.
Yes, at a high level it will allow 45 different people (i.e. connections from different IP addresses) to connect concurrently regardless of how many client tools each one may have open. Now, from what I recall there is a limit to that latter part, perhaps 10 (?), but to keep it simple you can think of it simply as 45 people at a time can do whatever they want. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chpraveen.msc
Participant

Post by chpraveen.msc »

DSX .....ROCKS :lol: Thanks Craig