SCD stage run on multiple nodes gives incorrect results

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

BillB
Premium Member
Premium Member

SCD stage run on multiple nodes gives incorrect results

Post by BillB »

Code: Select all

Dim table
                           Oracle Enterprise stage
                                      |
                                      | Reference link
                  Primary link        |
Source table-------------------------SCD----------------------------------.\NUL
Oracle Enterprise stage               |           Output link             Sequential file stage
                                      |
                                      | Dim changes link
                                      |
                                  Peek stage
As an exercise, I've created a simple job using the SCD stage, type 2 processing. I have 10 rows in the source table, and 10 rows in the dimension table. The business key column in each table contains the same 10 distinct values. The Type 2 columns also are identical in both tables. The SCD primary link input is hash partitioned on the business key, the reference link input is partitioned 'Entire'.

The expected result is for 0 rows to go down the dimension changes link, and this is what happens if I run the job on a single node.

But if I run the job on 2 nodes, I get 5 rows on the dimension changes link. If I run on 4 nodes I get 8 rows. These rows are insert (ie unexpired) rows, indicating that they were not found on the reference link.

I'd like this job to run consistently regardless of the number of nodes. Can anyone give me a hint on where to start looking?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Your expectations are correct. Is this version 8.0 or 8.1? There were some SCD problems in 8.0 - check with your support provider.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
BillB
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BillB »

Thanks Ray. Our version is 8.0.1. I'll raise a support request with IBM.