Compress Sequential File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Magesh_bala
Participant

Compress Sequential File

Post by Magesh_bala »

Hi All,
Can I use the COmpress stage for Sequential file? If yes please let me know what should be the Output columns for it?

Thanks
Magesh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No. It (and the companion Expand Stage) are all about data sets. Now, that doesn't mean you can't "compress" a sequential file, you'd just have to do it with a singleton call to your O/S after creating it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Magesh_bala
Participant

Post by Magesh_bala »

How can I gzip the Sequential files using Datastage, Do we have any stage to do?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Compress stage can compress/gzip a data stream. What you do with it after that is up to you.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need to execute in sequential mode to compress into a single archive. But you can certainly have a Sequential File stage downstream of a Compress stage.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Magesh_bala
Participant

Post by Magesh_bala »

I am sry, If am asking the same question again.

I need to gzip the Sequential files, When I use the Compress stage I am getting an error

"Error when checking operator: Could not find input field "FT_ACCOUNT_KEY".

How do i overcome this problem? In my Input I have 21 column what should be my Output columns?

Regards
Magesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You will need 21 output columns.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I wouldn't use the compress stage for this. Just use a sequential output stage and add the command "gzip -i" to it . I'm not at a DataStage computer now, but when I do I'll send the exact syntax I use.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In the sequential file stage, just enter "bzip2 -c" to compress using bzip2, other commands have slightly differing sysntax to take their input from stdind.