How do you handle break processing in DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chuckd248
Participant

How do you handle break processing in DataStage

Post by chuckd248 »

I've been investigating how to do break processing within DataStage but have had no luck... here is what I need to do...

From a single input source I need to group rows together by 3 key values (not a problem) then I need to assign an incrementing number starting from 1 and continuing to n based upon the number of rows the 3 key values present... so if keys 1-3 are identical for 5 records, I need to assign the first one with a '1', the 2nd with a '2', and so on... and for each gouping of the 3 keys, I need to start with '1' again...

I've looked at sequence generator, aggregator, stage variables, etc... and have not figured out how to maintain the previous values, or set up a variable 'counter' that I can reset to '1' each time I get new key values...

Am I missing something in DS???... does a stage exist that can do this???... or has anyone had a similar situation and had to do a workaround...

Any help would be appreciated...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This can be done in a transform using 4 stage variables:

GroupCounter = IF Key1=LastKey1 AND Key2 = LastKey2 AND Key3 = LastKey3 THEN GroupCounter+1 ELSE 1
LastKey1 = Key1
LastKey2 = Key2
LastKey3 = Key3
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would just use two, one for the counter and one for the previous 'composite' key. Of course, this presupposes the data has been sorted. Note that having the Sort stage add a Key Change column can make this a little easier.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Craig caught that:

Code: Select all

GroupCounter     IF In.Key1:In.Key2:In.Key3=LastKey THEN GroupCounter += 1 ELSE 1
LastKey          In.Key1:In.Key2:In.Key3
Bostonian
Premium Member
Premium Member

partition method in PX

Post by Bostonian »

Should we consider the partition method here if the input is not a sequential file? Should the input link need to be partitioned in round robin method?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Data should be partitioned on the sort key.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chuckd248
Participant

Post by chuckd248 »

Thanks to you all! It appears I have it working the way I want.

Thanks again.