Fresh Installation or Upgrade ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RAI ROUSES
Participant

Fresh Installation or Upgrade ?

Post by RAI ROUSES »

Hi ppl,

we have datastage version 8.0 installed in sun machine, since we have several problems in this installation we will pass to version 8.1.

what is the best way ?
Upgrade ?
or removed the old installation and do a fresh installation ?

merci
8) Rai 8)
dganeshm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Fresh Installation or Upgrade ?

Post by dganeshm »

RAI ROUSES wrote:Hi ppl,

we have datastage version 8.0 installed in sun machine, since we have several problems in this installation we will pass to version 8.1.

what is the best way ?
Upgrade ?
or removed the old installation and do a fresh installation ?

merci
8) Rai 8)
I would think upgrade would be simple and best..but thats just me..
Regards,
Ganesh
RAI ROUSES
Participant

Post by RAI ROUSES »

The only question is since we have several problems with version 8.0, it's better to removed all and do a new installation.

Or upgrade a problematic installation ?

merci
8) Rai 8)
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

It is hard to answer not knowing what kind of "problems" you are referring to in your 8.0 installation.

-However-

In general, if your problems are anything related to setup or configuration, then you are probably better off doing a clean install so you can start over.

If your problems are just that you are encountering "bugs" in 8.0, then an upgrade is probably ok.

In either case - BACKUP your system first, and insure that the backup is complete and readable. There's no way to "rollback" a major release.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
RAI ROUSES
Participant

Post by RAI ROUSES »

Hi,
the problems is about bugs, yes, but we have same problems in same projects, with corruption files (problems with file system).

So, yes if i do the upgrade i will (i hope) correct the bugs, but what will hapen to dameged projects ?

merci
8) Rai 8)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You won't be able to upgrade with damaged projects, as far as I know. I would think you should be getting them "undamaged" first, that or perform a fresh install and import whatever most recent undamaged versions of your projects that you have.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

I researched this issue about 6 months or more back and I gathered from the information I found that a fresh install would be the way to go.

Since then I worked on 2 IS v8.1 installs and both were fresh installs. They were fairly smooth. The server configuration, project setup and testing took the longest amount of time.

Plan accordingly for installing, configuring, project setup and testing time. Now that FP1 is available it may be a little easier to get the product level set.

I installed on an AIX6.1 machine and on the second install we implemented the 64 bit WAS which must be a pre-install. The previous 2 installs were for learning and were for a POC. In a few weeks I will be doing 2 more installs and I plan for about 4 weeks per server.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Tip: plan even more testing time. Have a test plan, including expected versus actual reporting.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.