Setting DB2 environment variables

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suneelchallagali
Participant

Setting DB2 environment variables

Post by suneelchallagali »

Hi All we have installed Infosphere8.1 on windows server and our DBA's have installed DB2 on some other server, so the installation of infosphere 8.1 and db2 are different so how do i configure db2 and set environment variables so that i can use it, if both of them (infosphere 8.1 and DB2) are on same i know how to set the APT_DB2instance_name,Apt_Dbname but if they are remotly how do i need to configure please help me out

thank you,
suneelchallagali
Participant

please any help
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Learn patience. You posted at 2:41am my time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
suneelchallagali
Participant

Hi can any one help out with the configuration of the environment variable for the db2.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... are you saying that you have 8.1 installed but it's not working because it can't communicate with your DB2 XMETA install? I didn't think that was possible and that it checked connectivity during that process. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
suneelchallagali
Participant

No chulette my problem our dba has installed db2 on main frames with is on 'X' server.
we have installed datastage8.1 on 'Y' server. I have created odbc connection for db2 database.
now my question is i want to use db2z/os stage for retreving n number of rows from db2 database.I have enter db2name,user_id,password
before runnning the job i am trying to view data from db2z stage it is giving me an error stating
db2name,user_id,password not found please check DSHOME or APT_RESPATH so please tell what the environment variable need to set up to connect to remote db2 database
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I've never touched DB2 in my life but I seem to remember from reading here that you need to 'bind' any new DB2 database you want to access. Have you done that?
-craig

suneelchallagali
Participant

Thanks for you replay chulett I have not BIND the database i dont know how to do it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is an entire manual on DB2 connectivity. Have you read it?

Are you using DB2 Connect on the DataStage server (which is the DB2 client)? This is the usual method for accessing DB2 tables on different platforms.

You still need to bind, though.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
suneelchallagali
Participant

I have gone through db2 connectivity documentation i am able to connect to db2 server from db2 client but when i am using db2stage like db2 udb,db2 enterprise db2 load and db2 z i am unable to connect to the database asking me to set some environment variable so i dont know how to set it.

one more thing does db2z/os is only to retrive or load data from db2 database on main frames only or db2 database on other environment(windows or unix).
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

suneelchallagali wrote:one more thing does db2z/os is only to retrive or load data from db2 database on main frames only or db2 database on other environment(windows or unix).
The name of the stage is a big clue to the answer. Yes, right, only for DB2 on Z/OS.
-craig

suneelchallagali
Participant

Yes chulett only for db2 z/os
suneelchallagali
Participant

I tried to search for few examples or documentation related db2 z/os stage how to load data in to db2 and how to set environment variables but i could not find much still searching
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Are you actually trying to connect to DB2 on Z/OS? It doesn't sound like it from the kind of questions you are asking. :?
-craig

suneelchallagali
Participant

I am tryind to connect to db2 on mainframes using db2z stage but i am unable to connect it since it is asking me to set some variables dshome and atp_respath