Time Spent on Each stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DS_FocusGroup
Premium Member
Premium Member

Time Spent on Each stage

Post by DS_FocusGroup »

I know there is a way in which you can check in the log how much time is being spent on each stage. I just can not remember it? Is there an Env variable that needs to be enabled?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Perhaps APT_PM_PLAYER_TIMING set to True? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Akumar1
Participant

Post by Akumar1 »

chulett wrote:Perhaps APT_PM_PLAYER_TIMING set to True? :? ...
yes , its correct ...
$APT_PM_PLAYER_TIMING: (set to true)this reporting option lets you see what each operator in a job is doing, especially how much data they are handling and how much CPU they are consuming
Akumar
DS_FocusGroup
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_FocusGroup »

shouldn't the elapsed time of each match the total time of production or the production time is a sum of something else ? For Example. I join two tables using a join stage and write to a dataset. It comes up with something like this.
Stage1_0,0: Operator completed. status: APT_StatusOk elapsed: 2.66 user: 0.08 sys: 0.01 (total CPU: 0.09)
Stage2_0,0: Operator completed. status: APT_StatusOk elapsed: 8.08 user: 1.30 sys: 0.05 (total CPU: 1.35)
Join_16,0: Operator completed. status: APT_StatusOk elapsed: 8.23 user: 0.01 sys: 0.01 (total CPU: 0.02)
Data_Set_26,0: Operator completed. status: APT_StatusOk elapsed: 8.24 user: 0.00 sys: 0.00 (total CPU: 0.00)
Join_16,0: Operator completed. status: APT_StatusOk elapsed: 8.24 user: 0.05 sys: 0.00 (total CPU: 0.05)
main_program: Startup time, 0:07; production run time, 0:08.
And why is it showing info regarding the single Join two times with two seprate figures :roll: ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... how many nodes did the job run on?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes: the Performance Analysis tool. It provides precisely this information, as well as information about other resources (e.g. memory, disk).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DS_FocusGroup
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_FocusGroup »

two nodes. and my question still stands which was that the elapse time for each stage shouldn't be equal to the production run time it gives at the end?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Two nodes = two sets of stats. Since the nodes run in parallel, why would you expect all of the stats to sum up to the total run time? Constrain it to one node and see if the stats make more sense that way.
-craig

DS_FocusGroup
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_FocusGroup »

ok thanks :)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Total production run time includes overheads that are not counted against any one stage (operator). Further, stages are executing simultaneously, so that the elapsed time for any one stage could potentially be the same as (or nearly the same as) the job itself.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.