Wait for File activites in Sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SHARAD123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Wait for File activites in Sequencer

Post by SHARAD123 »

Hi,
I have a sequencer in which i wait for 19 files. Each file has its own set of jobs(multiple instance) to be triggered, independent of each other.
The idea is that if file 1 arrives its set of jobs should be triggered irrespective of the presence of other files.

But in my sequencer, even though files 1,2,3,4,5 are present , it is waiting for File 7 and the jobs is not triggered.

after File 7 arrives all the jobs for other files are triggered and the process finishes.

Below given the representation of my sequence.

|--> WaitForFile13 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile12 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile8 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile1 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile2 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile3 ---> Jobs
command activity--|--> WaitForFile4 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile5 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile6 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile7 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile8 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile9 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile10 ---> Jobs
|--> WaitForFile11 ---> Jobs

Does any one know the reason for this behavior

Thank you in advance...
Last edited by SHARAD123 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not a good representation. Please enclose it in Code tags and preview/edit until the alignment is correct so that we can properly understand what you have designed.

Incidentally, a Sequencer is a component that you use in a Sequence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ajay.vaidyanathan
Participant

Post by ajay.vaidyanathan »

Hi,

In a Job Sequence you have something called as a "SEQUENCER" activity. In this sequencer activity, you can set 'ALL' or 'ANY' representation. Try using this. Set the 'ANY' property and link all your 'WAIT FOR FILE' activities to this sequencer activity with 'ANY' set in it. Then try executing your sequence. Lets see if this meets your requirement or not.
Regards
Ajay
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Please heed Ray's advice and learn how to do "ascii art" properly here. Without the code tags all white-space is collapsed out with your art smashed up against the left-hand wall. Edit your post and make copious use of the 'Preview' option as it won't line up quite like you expect, being a proportional font and all.

ps. What purpose does the Execute Command stage serve?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers