Restart sequencer after abort

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

deva
Participant

Restart sequencer after abort

Post by deva »

Hi,
Need your help

I have one sequencer, it have 5 job activities and the 3rd job get failed. The data volume is huge , job get aborted after 2 m records. I want to restart the sequencer from that failure position. Which means from 3rd job activity should start and start load from 2 m record. We are using DB2 is one target and other target is oracle.
We are using data stage 8.1 Parallel.

Let say if the database is comming every 2000 records is there any way to capture the committed max key and load from there onwards.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Restartability of sequence does not work as desired. This view is based on my experience.

Regards
Sreeni
deva
Participant

Post by deva »

We have functionality in Datastage. to restart the process from the abort point. But I don't know exactly how to do that
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

You can do this setting using a scheduler like dollaruniverse/autosys.
If you want to do this in datastage you need to store the status in of job in a file/db and then restart from that point.

Regards
Sreeni
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There is a huge difference between restarting a Sequence at the failure point and doing the same within a single job. The former is an automatic feature of checkpoints while the latter needs to be explicitly coded into your job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sreenivasulu wrote:Restartability of sequence does not work as desired. This view is based on my experience.
And based on my experience it works exactly as desired. :wink:
-craig

deva
Participant

Post by deva »

Restartability of job sequencer can do by doing the check point.

but my question is how to start the loading process from the failure process, which means from the last commit.

We are not using any scheduling tool. I am running the job sequencer through datastage director.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Craig i had difficulties in restarting from failover point. Will again check and update you.

Regards
Sreeni
deva
Participant

Post by deva »

As per my knowledge , we can do in informatica. but we need to create two tables and we need to set the properties to session and workflow.
I did't know the table names.
if the session abort , it will re run the process in recovery mode. if the commit intervell is 2000 and job fail at 2050 , in the recovery mode it will delete 50 records and starts from 2001. How will do in datastage
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You'll need a mechanism to record the latest commit point and then another mechanism to check that (typically via a contraint) so that you only start 'processing' rows once you are past the previous commit point. A successful job run would set that to zero.

Of course, all this assumes a static source.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage would commit 2000 and then rollback 50 when the abort occurs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsuser_cai »

Hi

First if you want to restart the sequence from where it aborted, as mentioned previously you need to know where it failed, ie the point of failure. so try to get this information first. In my system, what we do is all the job activity will have a number and we have a seperate file where we store this. so every time a sequence aborts, the point of failure will be noted (to a text file - this will be a number, example 1005). So when we start the sequence next time we will read this number first (to get start point), so the sequence will start from this point of failure.

Second, if you want to process from the record where it failed, say 2 million. then you should have a mechanism in your job to capture the last key (we se the last key value) value, or if you are using dates then you need to capture the maximum or latest dates (form your target) and now if you start your job it will capture from the point it left.
Thanks
Karthick
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm curious why you built a 'check pointing' system for your job sequences when that functionality is already built in? :?
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You don't need to 'capture the last key' but rather the last record number committed. Your source is static correct? Note that running on multiple nodes will complicate this.

PS. 'Key' just means any column(s) that uniquely identify a record.
-craig