Config two nodes in single CPU

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinsashi
Participant

Config two nodes in single CPU

Post by vinsashi »

Hi All,
I have installed datastage 8.0.1 in windows 2003 server.processor is intelcore duel.how can config 2nodes in my system

Thanks in advance
vin....
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

With a two-node configuration file: a configuration file that mentions two node names with associated resources for each.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vinsashi
Participant

Post by vinsashi »

Hi ray,
Just if i changed in config file it wil wil convert to 2node or i have to do any thing in hardware side.how we wil create logical processing nodes in single CPU...
kiran259
Participant

Post by kiran259 »

Yes.Edit config file with two node names assigning resources to each one of them.
Kiran Vaduguri

As soon as the fear approaches near, attack and destroy it.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The number of logical nodes in a config file and physical CPUs in a system are independant. Simply put, the number of logical nodes just defines how many processes are used, then the OS determines how these processes are distributed across the available hardware.
vinsashi
Participant

Post by vinsashi »

Hi ArndW,
Thanks for your reply...

Thanks and regards
vin.....
ankitaporwal
Participant

Post by ankitaporwal »

Hi ArndW,

I want to understnd that how the number of logical nodes in a config file and physical CPUs in a system are independant.
for eg if i have 4 CPU system how many nodes can I define in config file.
How it will impact the performacne if I define 2,4 and 8 nodes in config file.what will happen in each case.
Your reply on this will help me understand the concept of nodes and config file.
Please help.
Thanks,
Ankita
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Performance - whatever you mean by it - is a simple supply and demand equation. You can run as many nodes as you like if each of them is doing hardly anything. But you can only run a tiny number of jobs that demand huge resources. A parallel job will create approximately N * (M + 1) + 1 processes, where N is the number of nodes and M is the number of stages (operators). Each of these will demand resources from your system.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.