Geting warning's in decimal conversion

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

naidu
Participant

Geting warning's in decimal conversion

Post by naidu »

Hi All
I am getting this warning can any one tell me how can i get rid of this warning

" ORCL_Src_OFOEtl: When checking operator: When binding output interface field "DESEASONALIZED_FCST" to field "DESEASONALIZED_FCST": Implicit conversion from source type "decimal[38,10]" to result type "decimal[7,1]": Possible range/precision limitation. "
Thanks
Naidu
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can't unless it is possible to change your incoming metadata to be no larger than your result, otherwise it will always warn you it may not fit. If you are sure it always will, you could demote the warning to informational, I suppose.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
naidu
Participant

Post by naidu »

Thanks for the reply i jus want to tell more details about the job the source is oracle stage and the targets are oracle and CFF stages and the job is migrated from 7.5v to 8.1v and it is running fine without any warnings in 7.5v and why does it shows warning messages in 8.1 could you please help me out in this.
Thanks
Naidu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Because checking is more stringent in version 8. This is an alert rather than a warning. You are being informed that you are potentially trying to squeeze a large value (with 38 significant digits) into a smaller receptacle (only having seven significant digits), that there are some values (those with eight or more significant digits) for which this operation is guaranteed to fail.

You can demote the message to informational using a message handler if you are totally confident that the source data will never contain more than eight significant digits.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In other words, 7.5 should really have given you that same alert but didn't, that's now been corrected in 8.1. With any upgrade there's the chance you'll no longer to be able to get away with things you really shouldn't have gotten away with in the first place.
-craig

naidu
Participant

Post by naidu »

So there is nuthing i can do to avoid these warnings
Thanks
Naidu
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If your source is really a Decimal[38,10] and your target is Decimal[7,1] then no, it will always alert you to that possibility. What are the actual range of values in the source field?
-craig

HariK
Participant

Post by HariK »

You can check if the particular warning is downgraded to information or suppressed from log on 7.5 V. If it is the case then you can do the same in 8V.
The mentioned activity is done on director. not sure whether it will get migrated when upgraded from one to other.
naidu
Participant

Post by naidu »

HariK wrote:You can check if the particular warning is downgraded to information or suppressed from log on 7.5 V. If it is the case then you can do the same in 8V.
The mentioned activity is done on director. not sure whether it will get migrated when upgraded from one to other.
Thanks i am suppressing all the warning messages.
Thanks
Naidu
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not necessarily the wisest choice. Any chance you could answer my last question?
-craig

naidu
Participant

Post by naidu »

chulett wrote:Not necessarily the wisest choice. Any chance you could answer my last question? ...
Yeah Craig my source Decimal[38,1] and your target is Decimal[7,1]
Thanks
Naidu
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That wasn't the question.
-craig