How to differentiate a new file from the old one.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Marcus426
Participant

How to differentiate a new file from the old one.

Post by Marcus426 »

Hi guys,

I need some help with the logic. I have a monthly file as an input. Based on the incoming file i need to generate a sequential number( the incoming file has a date column). The sequential number increments by 1 for every next(next month's) file. If for some reason I wanted to run the same monthly file again, the sequential number shouldn't increment by 1. Can you guys help me out with this?

Marcus.![/code]
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Keep track of the dates and numbers you've processed. A successful lookup would mean use the old number (I assume) else assign a new one then store both it and the date.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Marcus426
Participant

Post by Marcus426 »

criag! thanks for the response. But can you please elaborate a little bit on that.!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, what part is unclear? To track something, you need to store whatever makes it unique, which sounds like the date in your case. Then a lookup tells you if you've seen it before or not.
-craig

Marcus426
Participant

Post by Marcus426 »

Got you this time! Thanks a lot :D
Marcus426
Participant

Post by Marcus426 »

Craig,

Here is an example of what i am supposed to do,

Code: Select all

source file                                       

ColA       ColB                        
May          a
May          a     
May          a
May          b
May          b
May          b 
I need to genereate a source_ id for the source file ( a sequential number starting with 1) and for each different values in ColB ineed to generate ColB_id which is unique for each value in colB . for the next months source file the soirce_id should increment by 1( in this case 2) and the colB_id should increment by1 ( in this case to 3 since there are two different colB values). If for any reason I ran the same month file again the values shouldn't increment.

I got the point that we should store them and do a lookup , but I am still confused about how ti increment the values

Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Stage variables are one way, only increment when ColB changes value. A Sort stage with the 'Create key change column' option would help, too - increment only when that column has a 1 in it.
-craig