Commonly used parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

binujnair2
Participant

Commonly used parameters

Post by binujnair2 »

Hello,

Can someone throw some light on which all are the commonly used parameters(Best practices) in a DataStage project? Eg: - DB Connection for Source, Target, Lookup etc

Thanks Much
gssr
Participant

Post by gssr »

It was user specified and hence you can use your own parameters for DB connection. The commonly used are DataSource,Username, PassWord,HostName etc..
RAJ
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

$APT_CONFIG_FILE
$APT_DISABLE_COMBINATION

should be in every PX job. The latter can be removed once the job debugging is finished.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Agreed but I would leave it in, just make sure it's set to False. We typically include the 'dump score' one and another I can't think of at the moment, so they can be 'activated' when needed.

The generic answer to the parameter question is (in my mind) anything that could change from environment to environment or from run to run.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As well as those two I always include APT_DUMP_SCORE (default False), because the score is one of the most useful diagnostic tools you have. The default value of APT_CONFIG_FILE I set to $PROJDEF.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vinnz
Participant

Post by vinnz »

We use APT_CONFIG_FILE at the project level and override at the job level to point to a different config, when required. APT_DUMP_SCORE is set to True at the project level as well.

Other parameters tweaked in the current project level setup (and may not apply to everyone) are the values of APT_MONITOR_TIME, APT_MONITOR_SIZE and APT_STRING_PADCHAR.

HTH