Datastage Job Location

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sreedhar
Participant

Datastage Job Location

Post by Sreedhar »

Hello,

We have a strange situation.

We lost our jobs developed on Development server, we haven't taken the backup of the jobs.

Though we had taken the back up of all the files on Unix server. Not sure if I restore my Unix Server I will get back my jobs?

So my question is where are these jobs stored? on Unix Server box or Univers Database?

Because we didn't had our univers Database backeup.

Regards,
Regards,
Shree
785-816-0728
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You're going to have a possible issue with your Universe repository (stored on disk) being out of sync with the XMETA rdbms repository if you restore one that is not in sync with the other. Regardless, what exactly do you mean by "we lost our jobs"? What happened? :?

Knowing exactly what happened seems to me to be a vital piece of information needed to getting Humpty Dumpty back together again.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Sreedhar
Participant

Post by Sreedhar »

First

We had two servers running, one is the replica of other.

We switched from Server 1 to server 2 some 1 month back.

2 Server was up and running for the past 25 days, the other was just sitting there no action was taken on that. So it had all data except the last 25 days data.

Now by some means the Server 1 was update Server 2. So we lost the jobs that were developed in the past 25 days.

Is there a way to recover it?

The file system on server 2 was backed up before the update. but not the Universe database.

So what is the best way to get back the work that is done in the past 25 days.

Regards,
Regards,
Shree
785-816-0728
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you have the "file system" backed up, then you should have the Universe repository backed up as that's where it lives - on the file system where you installed the DataStage server files, in particular the Projects directory.

The question in my mind is, where does your XMETA database reside - co-resident on that server or elsewhere? If it is co-resident, then you have what you need to restore your 25 days of work. If it is "elsewhere" then you may still have issues with things being out of sync post restore depending on what work you did between the time you overwrote Server 2 and you discovered that fact.
-craig

mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi chulett ,

I am also looking for same kind of position,
I would like to take the backup of my Production project. At present I am exporting every Monday folder wise and stored in *.dsx files. And also I am taking back up of XMETA.ASCL_DSJOB_Def table.

If something happened what is process for recovery.

Thanks
Man
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

For 8.x I'm not entirely sure but I would think it would depend on the 'something'. And why would you just back up one table? Back up the database.
-craig

mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Thanks.

So what is the backup process for easy recover.

Thanks
Man