Metadata repository and 11g

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Dsnew
Participant

Metadata repository and 11g

Post by Dsnew »

We might migrate from 7.5 to 8.1 or the latest version of Datastage as of then, in a few months.
I dont have the intallation documents.

Can anybody confirm if Metadata repository can be installed on Oracle 11g.
Also, what is suggested - DB2 or Oracle ?
Do we need to buy licence for DB2 ?
If we choose Oracle, how does the licencing work ?
Can you please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

License for DB2 comes with Info Server for its limited use as the repository....it may as well just be a "black box". It's a check box and you are done. Otherwise there are installation instructions, etc. for Oracle and SQL Server... choosing DB2 for this limited purpose would certainly seem simpler.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Oracle 10g is supported for the repository, not 11g... at least not officially.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I once got 8.0.1 working on SQL Server Express. On Oracle you will need to either go with a free express version, which could cause problems if you server has a lot of CPUs, or get a licensed version. It's a real pain if you don't have an Oracle enterprise license and you want to put a small XMETA database onto a massive DataStage server with 16-32 CPUs. Oracle could charge you through the nose unless you could get some sub capacity licensing arrangement.
Dsnew
Participant

Post by Dsnew »

Thanks for your inputs.
Oritech
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Oritech »

Sharing my experience, couple of months ago, I was wondering which option is better DB2 or Oracle 10g.

As per folks experience,IIS is more tightly integrated to DB2 & leveraging IBM support is less complicated compare to situation where xmeta is in Oracle as we need to turn to Oracle Support for any complicacy in it.

However for DB2, one needs to have DBA for it

Since, we did not had the one, went ahead with Oracle 10g,

Though full development has not started, as of now its looking good with xmeta repository on Oracle 10g R2.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Good points, if one is comfortable with Oracle and can easily get a license.

I have also been to many sites who can't spell "DBA" and are doing fine with DB2 as nothing more than a metadata storage space. It may as well be flat files. The model is not changed manually, and there is no "custom" tuning that is performed. The support benefits are key considerations, as are the potential licensing costs.

There is no "wrong" answer here. Either are fine...its whatever a site is more comfortable with after weighing various support, licensing and cost considerations.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>