EBCDIC to ASCII conversion for '|' character

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Do you have the hex value of both the EBDIC source and final ASCII characters?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Standard EBCDIC 4f is a pipe symbol, so that is good. But after copying it to UNIX it should still be 4F, so i am not sure what your value of "O" means - if the value isn't 4F then the error isn't inside DataStage.
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Within the sequential file or complex flat file , Use cobol copy books to read the data in the file ....Also could you please let us know what are the options that you are using dd command ??
Nag
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Are you doing an explicit conversion from EBCDIC to ASCII in your CFF stage? Is that field declared as Char(1)?
alkanti
Participant

Post by alkanti »

I tried to test it with sample file. I created only one character '|' in the file in ebcdic format. In CFF, I gave char(1) and character set = EBCDIC and the output is coming as '!' instead of '|'. Same thing is happening with SEQ FILE stage.

ArndW wrote:Are you doing an explicit conversion from EBCDIC to ASCII in your CFF stage? Is that field declared as Char(1)? ...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Where did you create this sample file - on the Mainframe? If so, how exactly did you transfer it to the DataStage server?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

As Craig has already hinted, the problem might be in a nonbinary FTP or transfer from the host. Just create a UNIX file with an ASCII capital "O" (4F) and then push that through your CFF stage to see if you still have the problem.
Klaus Schaefer
Participant

Post by Klaus Schaefer »

You may also check which EBCDIC codepage is being used at your host system and then set the environment variable APT_EBCDIC_VERSION accordingly.

Klaus
alkanti
Participant

Post by alkanti »

I have created a unix file with one character "O" on datastage host server and tried to read that from CFF, SEQ file stages and it is still getting converted into '!' instead of '|'. Is there anything to change in the Adminstrator?

Thanks
Kiran

ArndW wrote:As Craig has already hinted, the problem might be in a nonbinary FTP or transfer from the host. Just create a UNIX file with an ASCII capital "O" (4F) and then push that through your CFF stage to see ...
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Klaus Schaefer wrote:You may also check which EBCDIC codepage is being used at your host system and then set the environment variable APT_EBCDIC_VERSION accordingly.

Klaus
Any idea what APT_EBCDIC_VERSION is set to if it is not explicitly set? Where can I find it? I looked in Administrator at the project level settings and could not find it defined anywhere.

Thanks!

Brad.
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
adityavinay
Participant

Post by adityavinay »

If this issue is resolved, could you please post what have you done to fix this?

Thanks,
Aditya.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No-one has marked it as Resolved.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
adityavinay
Participant

Post by adityavinay »

ray.wurlod wrote:No-one has marked it as Resolved. ...
I used "if" in my question as it is not marked as "resolved" .