2 Joins better than 1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

2 Joins better than 1

Post by just4geeks »

I had to left-outer join 3 source flat files which were all pre-sorted on the joining keys. I developed Job A where I first join source 1 and 2 and then join its result with source 3. I also developed Job B where I join source 1, 2 and 3 using a single join stage. Job A runs twice as fast as Job B. Does anyone know why is that so? I am just trying to understand the inner workings of join stage. Thanks for reading...
Attitude is everything....
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

add a sort stage before the join to each link where you specify the sort key and add "Don't sort, data previously sorted" so that the join stage does not have to insert a sort operator.

You can print out and compare the score with APT_DUMP_SCORE.

You could also add APT_NO_SORT_INSERTION so that no "hidden" tsort operators are inserted into your stream.
just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4geeks »

ArndW wrote:add a sort stage before the join to each link where you specify the sort key and add "Don't sort, data previously sorted" so that the join stage does not have to insert a sort operator.

You can print out and compare the score with APT_DUMP_SCORE.

You could also add APT_NO_SORT_INSERTION so that no "hidden" tsort operators are inserted into your stream.
How do I get the APT_DUMP_SCORE and add the APT_NO_SORT_INSERTION?
Attitude is everything....
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Add those environment parameters to your job and set the values to "true" and "true"
hiral.chauhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hiral.chauhan »

Thanks for the tip ArndW
Thanks,
Hiral Chauhan