Varchar(max) datatype not supported in 8.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pratapsriram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Varchar(max) datatype not supported in 8.1

Post by pratapsriram »

I am getting the error Datatype not supported when reading a SQL server database having a varchar(max) as the datatype. Importing the table definition shows the field as LongVarChar(). I tried changing that to Varchar, nvarchar,varchar(4000),char but still cannot execute the job successfully. If this column is excluded from the job then it completes successfully.

I had another column with datatype text which was able to read using the sql enterprise stage by reading it as longvarchar and then using transformer stage to convert it to varchar. The target field is Varchar as I cannot write it to a text. Datastage was not able to execute with a text field in the target using the sql svr enterprise stage.

This is the first time I am seeing this kind of error and what is the best practice to read the text and Varchar(Max) fields in DataStage.

I also researched the internet and found a link that this bug can be resolved in 7.5.2 by installing a patch. So wondering if anyone has faced this issue and if so how to resolve or if ther is a workaround for such cases from the experts experience.
Knowledge is Power
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you declare it as VarChar(4000) in your job, what is the error message you get?
pratapsriram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by pratapsriram »

I still get the same error
main_program: Datatype Not Supported.
Xfrm_Inp: Error when checking operator: Could not find input field "FindingId".

These are the settings I have included in my design.
"$APT_DISABLE_COMBINATION = True
$APT_NO_ONE_NODE_COMBINING_OPTIMIZATION = True
"
Knowledge is Power
intelcom
Premium Member
Premium Member

varchar(MAX)

Post by intelcom »

This is supported with a patch,JR30124, on Information Server 8.0.1. Check with IBM if this patch was reapplied in v8.1.