oracle load restart

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dnat
Participant

oracle load restart

Post by dnat »

Hi,

I have around 100 million rows to be loaded in a table as a refresh and this happens every week. If the job aborts in the middle say after loading around 70 mil rows..is there any way to re-start it and load only the remaining 30 mil rows?
miwinter
Participant

Post by miwinter »

This has been covered here before, many times as I recall. In summary, if you are loading sequentially, then you can restart at the record from point of failure. If not though, you have the complexity added of not knowing where you got to exactly, so that leaves the options of:

- Deleting the data out and starting over from row #1
- Starting over and overwriting (perhaps via an upsert)
- Starting over via referential checking between source and table (before attempting insert)
Mark Winter
<i>Nothing appeases a troubled mind more than <b>good</b> music</i>
dnat
Participant

Post by dnat »

It is a full DB refresh. so i am going to go only for Oracle Bulk load..Upsert would be very time consuming. I just wanted to check the restartability in Oracle Bulk Load.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then talk to your DBA. A direct path (DIRECT=TRUE) load generally isn't restartable, however there is a SKIP parameter available for a conventional (DIRECT=FALSE) load.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
miwinter
Participant

Post by miwinter »

OK, so it's an Oracle bulk load question then... not really Datastage at all. Information that was somewhat lacking in your post :)
Mark Winter
<i>Nothing appeases a troubled mind more than <b>good</b> music</i>
dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsuser_cai »

you can use the Oracle load option parameter in your job but make sure your data is clean. If you have already staged the data in a dataset ot sequential file then use bulk loading option, because i have many times faced issues with index (being unusable -due to duplicate data). So before going for a Bulk load option make sure your data is clean and you have staged it so if something happens you can you the staging file as source.
Thanks
Karthick