Read only access to Project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I'm not sure how you prevent someone from running jobs. You might be able to supply access through the Information Server Reporting console and maybe Metadata Workbench. If you can navigate the difficult reporting interface you can set up some reports showing error, warning and log messages across jobs plus you can save HTML job reports that show a picture of the job and the properties of each stage in the job. These get saved into the reporting area. If find it all tricky to use and navigate but you might be able to make something of it.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It can be done. It does not work well in version 7. Not sure about 8. You need write permission to the RT_* files to run a job. Take away write permission for whatever group they are in.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... to clarify... while you can't stop people from trying to run jobs, you can ensure that the jobs won't run properly if they do? What does actually happen in that case, I'm assuming the job aborts before it gets very far, yes?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

That is correct. The job aborts. If they try to add a new job or save as on an old job then it leaves the next job number locked. Now nobody can add a job untill this lock is released. Lots of little problems. Same for routines.
Mamu Kim
sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

You may be able to accomplish that by ensuring they are:
- in a restricted role, say operator for the project and
- assigned to the unix group of others that only has read access.
narayana_382
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by narayana_382 »

I doubt whether we can restrict any user just to view the director logs and not allowing them to run any job.
Operator user only can reset and run the jobs, but cannot make job changes or compile the objects through the designer.
I dont know if there is a rule or group that is less complicated to that was explained above available in 8.1
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Thanks for your help.

Let try with sjfearnside option.

Thanks
Man
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi

I have tried different option like sjfearnside option also.

But still I can able to run the job from Datastage director.

Is any other option is there.

Thanks Man
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why, there would still be the kduke option. Similar in taste to the sjfearnside option, but with a tangy twist of lemon.
-craig

mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi chulett

Thanks for your reply. I am not able to follow up kduke reply.

kduke : Can you please help me to understand ?

Thanks
Man
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The problems with doing it at the UNIX level is that DataStage does not know it is restricted at the UNIX level so it tries to update a job when it is not possible at the UNIX level. This leaves records locked like the next job number. So project becomes frozen to the real developers. So as long as a restriced user never tries to create a job then you are fine.

Similar things happen when you try to run jobs and your user cannot write to the RT_* files. These processes become blocked at the UNIX level. Some admin has to delete these blocked or frozen processes.

It keeps users from doing things that you do not want them to do but it does not work smoothly. Version 8 created more roles to try to resolve this issue. If you work within the limits of the tool then it runs smoothly. You can trick it into doing something it was not designed to do but there is always a price to pay.

Someone owes me a twist of lemon.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

On the way, my friend, on the way. :wink:
-craig

sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

I just did a test and when the UID was in the role of DS/QS operator and had read only unix rights on either the &PH& folder or the DS_JOB folder and I was not able to execute the job from the client or director. When I added the execute priviledge to the folder it was able to execute the job.

These were the folder under the project. In all cases I was able to abort the job regardless of the rights at the unix level. However, with read only rights to the folder I was not able to reset the job.

My environment may be setup different than yours so I can't guarantee it will work for you but try it if you have a test environment.

P.S. There may be some good reasons you would not want to do that but if a UID is setup for non executable person, just ensure they are not in anything but the "other" group priviledge with read only access.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Yes

I am on the way.

Thanks for your inputs. I will try it once again for as per sjfearnside suggestion.

Thanks
Man
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi

Here I have one more question.

How will I make &PH& folder or DS_JOB folder read only for one user(UID).

Thanks
Man