Database tablename length in DS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shalini11
Participant

Database tablename length in DS

Post by shalini11 »

Hi All,

I am having very long table names in the database which i want to use in DB2 stage in DS. I want to know that is there any constraint on the length of the table name? If i give a long table name, i get the buffer overflow error. I tried fixing the error by increasing the buffer size, by emptying the scratch disk, but of no use. Only when i used a short tablename, the issue got resolved.

Could anybody pls help me know if there is any such constraint and if it is then upto what length the name can be?

Also, is there method or parameter value which I can change to increase the limit.

Thanks in adv
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

no Idea about DB2, But for teradata yes it is restricted to 32
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And 30 for Oracle but that's all in the database, not in DataStage.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

for Teradata its in Datastage,.
In Teradata SQL you can create a table with name length 36, but not through Datastage in Teradata DB
shalini11
Participant

Post by shalini11 »

Thanks for your replies but sorry to say that I am not having a problem with table name lengths in DB2 database. The problem is with datastage. Database is having long names and it is working fine there but DS is not accepting long names.

Is there any DS parameter which can be changed to that effect?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Seems to me a little early to be proclaiming that "DS is not accepting long names". Can you post the actual "buffer overflow error" that you are getting? Can you clarify what you mean by "long" - how long is a table name that seems to be "too long"? Anything funky in your long table name that is giving you grief, "special" characters, etc?

Lastly, have you involved your official support provider to see if this is a known issue with the stage?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers