Character  converted to A

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Debug it by checking the value of that string at each stage of the process to discover which component seems to be doing the modification.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The DataStage "View Data" facility has caused more perceived NLS problems than any other part of the tool - it is not capable of correctly displaying NLS data and shouldn't be used to see if NLS is working or not. Did you "view data" to see the character or use another tools?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

When you read from Oracle into DataStage you need to specify the correct NLS map - the one Oracle is actually using. The same needs to be done when writing to your target. If either one of these settings is not done correctly then it is possible that characters don't get mapped the way you expect.
What are your Oracle source settings?
bakul
Participant

Post by bakul »

Hi,

As per the parjdev pdf, if NLS is enabled, the NLS Map tab will be available. I do not see this tab.

Are there any default NLS settings? Where can I obtain the information about this?

I have checked in Admin and the NLS settings are disabled for viewing for developers.
Regards,
Bakul
bakul
Participant

Post by bakul »

Hi,

We have checked the NLS settings for source and target database and these are the same.
Therefore, the issue seems to be with DS NLS settings itself.

We have asked the Admin to provide details of the NLS setup as these are not accesible to us.

Will post them as and when we get updates.
Regards,
Bakul
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

ArndW wrote:Do you have NLS settings in your $DSHOME/uvconfig file? If not, then NLS is not enabled.
you should have read access to this file.
bakul
Participant

Post by bakul »

I did check the file.
THere is only one variable (NMEMOFF) related to NLS in the file. I am not sure if this indicates that NLS is enabled.
Regards,
Bakul
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

That parameter doesn't have to do with NLS; if your uvconfig has no NLS entries then any character conversion is not being done by DataStage. Read your Oracle and write to a text file, then look at the value in the text file (not with View Data in DataStage) to see if has been altered. What is your NLS_LANG environment setting?