dynamic creation on metadata

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pattemk
Participant

dynamic creation on metadata

Post by pattemk »

Hi,

I have a task where my input text file could be in any format each time.

I number of coulmns wil be different each time, i was wondering if it is possible to create the number of coulmns dynamically if i know how many coulmns do i need.

Please advice
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Okay... who in the heck is supplying you data in a file that "could be in any format each time"? Sheesh. Now we need a RTM stage.

Can you expalin what "any format" actually means? What might change from file to file?

RTM = Read Their Mind
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
pattemk
Participant

Post by pattemk »

[quote="chulett"]Okay... who in the heck is supplying you data in a file that "could be in any format each time"? Sheesh. Now we need a RTM stage.

Can you expalin what "any format" actually means? What might change from file to file?

[size=7]RTM = Read [i]Their[/i] Mind[/size][/quote]

Thanks for replying,
Only the number of fields can differ each time.it could be 10 one time and caould be 30 one.

I was wondering if we can do this without making use os schema files.

Please suggest
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

More details, please. Do you always want just the first 10 no matter how many come or do you always need to process all columns?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
pattemk
Participant

Post by pattemk »

[quote="chulett"]More details, please. Do you always want just the first 10 no matter how many come or do you always need to process all columns? ...[/quote]

No, i might need to process all 10 columns or all 15 or 20.
i believe i can do it by dynamically creating schema files since i know the metadata before running the jobs. but wondering if i can do this without schema files.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

What do you mean by "process" ?

Will the transformation logic be different based on the layout of run instance ?
jcthornton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jcthornton »

The use of 10, 15, 20 and 30 to describe the number of fields implies that what is coming in is going to be in multiples of 5 (5 key fields perhaps and 5 repeating fields?). That sounds a lot like a pivot, which has been discussed many times in these forums. A search on 'pivot' will give you more information than you can shake a stick at.

If it isn't a pivot operation, the more details you provide, the better an answer that you will get.
Jack Thornton
----------------
Spectacular achievement is always preceded by spectacular preparation - Robert H. Schuller
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Schema File property?

Or don't they even inform you what the format is?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pattemk
Participant

Post by pattemk »

I got it resolved.

I making use of my current architecture, tables.

I am sure i can do it by making use of some tables that have been defined,i will know the format before running the jobs and each request can be in a different format.

I am parameterizing the whole logic that we put in the transformer derivation field.i tested it and its working.
Terala
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Terala »

Hi Pattemk,

I have same kind of requirement, is it possible for you to share your dsx file reference?
Apprecaite