Huge XML file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pavan31081980
Participant

Huge XML file

Post by pavan31081980 »

Hi!

I am reading a XML file thru an XML input stage and loading into oracle table.The size of the xml file is 85 MB.The job is running continoulsy for more than 120 minutes.

Could you please help me in reducing the runtime of the job.If any performance related measures need to be taken in the job?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Pavan
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's not huge. You need to determine your bottleneck, have you broken your job into logical pieces to see where the actual problem is? For example, replace Oracle with a flat file and check the speed.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The XML Input stage will try to read the entire XML file into memory to validate the syntax before it does any processing so it could be a long time before it starts processing. If you start it on a number of nodes it might be trying to read the XML file on those different nodes. Try running it on a single node or in single thread debug mode to see if it runs faster.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Hi All,

XML Processing takes very long time in datastage. I think its built for processing only status messages not data files. we moed from XML to CSV because of the time delays

Regards
Sreeni
sajidkp
Participant

Post by sajidkp »

Huge XML (1GB and above )processing is always a bottleneck in ETL tools . you can find out some way to convert these xmls to flat files using some external programs or you can write a script/program to parse the XMLs . there will be good performance advantage
Regards,
Sajid KP