Repository Migration from 7.5.2 to 8.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jonyfranc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Repository Migration from 7.5.2 to 8.1

Post by jonyfranc »

Hi,

Please help me out with the following question.

We have DataStage 7.5.2 PX. We do not have metadata in an RDBMS, rather we have them within the tool itself as Universe tables (hashed files) .

We plan to move to Datastage 8.1. After Version 8 there is now a requirement to use an external repository in an RDBMS.

We will be using DB2 for it.

Is there a standard procedure published to move the repository from Universe form to RDBMS form ?

Thanks for your replies
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It happens automatically as your projects are upgraded or, if you prefer export/clean install/import, as your components are being imported.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I prefer a clean 8.1 install with an import of the 7.x components via the DataStage export and import process. It's just less messy than upgrading from 7 to 8. Some old version 7 files are still around in version 8 such as dsenv, dsparams and .odbc.ini so after your 8.1 install you can apply the changes to those files by comparing them to the version 7 files. I recommend using WinMerge to manage DataStage Configuration Files.

If you have any custom hash files you can still use them in version 8.1 as the Universe engine is still there but I'm not sure of the steps for moving them across.