Metadata repository

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jonyfranc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Metadata repository

Post by jonyfranc »

Hi,

I have a few questions..

1) I am seeing some installation documents for 7.5.2 Enterprise Edition. I do not see any requirements to have a database in place prior to installing DataStage. So I would think that it is possible for the installation program to create the Metadata repository in any other form other than a Database. Is my statement right ? If right in what other forms can the repository be in ?

2) What about Datastage 8.1. Is it necessary that the repository has to be in a Database. If it can be in any other form other than a Database is there any significant trade-off ?

Thanks for the replies
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

At versions of DataStage prior to V8 the metadata repository was within the tool itself, stored in hashed files. As of Version 8 this changed and there is now a requirement to use an external repository. DB2 is delivered as part of the package for use as a repository but you can also use Oracle. Use of a repository is mandatory as of V8.
JRodriguez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JRodriguez »

Previous to 8.1 the tool used Universe tables (hashed files) to host all objects related to projects. The Universe database was not optional ... you can't replace with any other

In 8.1 the metadata repository must be hosted in a RDBMS, options are DB2, SQL Server and Oracle
Julio Rodriguez
ETL Developer by choice

"Sure we have lots of reasons for being rude - But no excuses
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Not 8.1 but 8.x is the dividing line.