Special Characters in Password - V8.0.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nkln@you
Premium Member
Premium Member

Special Characters in Password - V8.0.1

Post by nkln@you »

I am trying to connect to Oracle Database using a Password "team#234".

When I tried to View data in Oracle Stage, it throwed

"Incorrect dboption list; it failed on Expected "," or "}", got: "#", line 1."

I searched the forum and found the below

viewtopic.php?t=100596&highlight=escape+characters
Version 8.0 - Need to pass it with escape characters [For example: sea$$wgyc has to be passed as "sea\$\$wgyc" (double quotes has to be present)]
So I used "team\#234" as passowrd. Still I get the same error. I am using 8.0.1 version. Also, I tried in 8.0. Any inputs on this
Aim high
ddevdutt
Participant

Re: Special Characters in Password - V8.0.1

Post by ddevdutt »

In the Oracle Enterprise stage, a password with special characters need to be enclosed in double quotes.

So try "team#234"

nkln@you wrote:I am trying to connect to Oracle Database using a Password "team#234".

When I tried to View data in Oracle Stage, it throwed

"Incorrect dboption list; it failed on Expected "," or "}", got: "#", line 1."

I searched the forum and found the below

viewtopic.php?t=100596&highlight=escape+characters
Version 8.0 - Need to pass it with escape characters [For example: sea$$wgyc has to be passed as "sea\$\$wgyc" (double quotes has to be present)]
So I used "team\#234" as passowrd. Still I get the same error. I am using 8.0.1 version. Also, I tried in 8.0. Any inputs on this
DD

Success is right around the corner
nkln@you
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nkln@you »

No luck, still I get the same error, with password enclosed in double quotes, i.e "team#234"
Aim high
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Oracle itself doesn't need double-quotes for "special characters" but you need to use them to break the rules for what is allowed where. For example, you can use a # anywhere in the password except as the first character without needing to quote it. However, if you want to use the # as the first character you'll need to always quote the password for it to work.

I'm thinking this is a DataStage specific issue as those hash signs have special meaning. I'd wager that any other special character would work there, just not that one. Any chance you can test that?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ddevdutt
Participant

Post by ddevdutt »

Craig,
I would agree with you that this is a DataStage specific issue. But we had the same problem with passwords starting and ending with "!" .

We used "!password!" to get around the problem.

Found some information on the IBM website:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg1JR32967
chulett wrote:Oracle itself doesn't need double-quotes for "special characters" but you need to use them to break the rules for what is allowed where. For example, you can use a # anywhere in the password except as the first character without needing to quote it. However, if you want to use the # as the first character you'll need to always quote the password for it to work.

I'm thinking this is a DataStage specific issue as those hash signs have special meaning. I'd wager that any other special character would work there, just not that one. Any chance you can test that? ...
DD

Success is right around the corner
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Good to know, thanks for posting the link. Pretty much just wanted to say that Oracle itself has no such need, so it must be something specific to the way the stage is implemented.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bobyon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bobyon »

The problem is not unique to Oracle. I ran into the exact same problem yesterday and our db is DB2.

I took the low road and changed the password, knowing I'll have to deal with this later. :(
Bob