Warning: column nullability

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sajidkp
Participant

Warning: column nullability

Post by sajidkp »

My Job is like

ODBC----->
Dataset---> Joiner(J) -----> Joiner(J_29)
Dataset -----> ----> Dataset(Target)

CT ID is the Keycolumn for the Joiner J_29 and all stages i have specified CT ID as Non Nullable. Even it gives a type conversion warning as below.

Join_29: When checking operator: On input data set 1: When binding input interface field "CT_ID" to field "CT_ID": Converting a nullable source to a non-nullable result;
a fatal runtime error could occur;
use a modify operator to specify the value to which the null should be converted.

Please help me to solve this

Thanks in Advance
Regards,
Sajid KP
Jasti
Participant

Re: Warning: column nullability

Post by Jasti »

sajidkp wrote:CT ID is the Keycolumn for the Joiner J_29 and all stages i have specified CT ID as Non Nullable. Even it gives a type conversion warning as below.

Join_29: When checking operator: On input data set 1: When binding input interface field "CT_ID" to field "CT_ID": Converting a nullable source to a non-nullable result;
a fatal runtime error could occur;
use a modify operator to specify the value to which the null should be converted.
CT_ID is a nullable field in the source, so read it as a nullable field in the source stage and before passing that field into the join stage do null handling and then you can use that as a non nullable field.
There are many ways to do null handling. If you are reading that field from a database table use function nvl() in the sql or if that comes from a dataset use a transformer to do that..
Thanks,
Mohan.A.Jasti.
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

You need to use the modify stage. With this you would avoid the warnings

Regards
Sreeni
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could always try searching the forums for "Converting a nullable source to a non-nullable result", I mean it's not like no-one has ever asked this same question before.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers