Handling 'Restartability' in Sequencer - Parallel jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nagalakshmi.Krishna
Participant

Handling 'Restartability' in Sequencer - Parallel jobs

Post by Nagalakshmi.Krishna »

Hi,
I have to handle the Restartability in sequencer to make sure that Sequncer runs from the point where it got failed before.

I have tried by checking the option "Add CheckPoints so sequence is Restartable on Failure" in sequncer properties.But this is not working.

Is anybody have inputs on the same?

Thanks,
LK
nagarjuna
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nagarjuna »

Not working means what? Tell exactly whats happening ..Also this has been discussed many times in the forum ...do a search you can find solution ..
Nag
Nagalakshmi.Krishna
Participant

nagarjuna wrote:Not working means what? Tell exactly whats happening ..Also this has been discussed many times in the forum ...do a search you can find solution ..
Hi ,
My Sequence has two Datastage jobs Lets say Job1,Job2.In first run Job1 ran successfully and Job2 jot failed.When I ran next time it again started running with Job1 instead of running only Job2 where it got failed earlier even though I checked the check box "Add CheckPoints so sequence is Restartable on Failure" in sequence properties.

I have checked the forum, it is saying that use the option "Add CheckPoints so sequence is Restartable on Failure" in sequnce properties.

But which is not working as I told you before. I am having the 7X version of Parallel jobs.

Thanks,
Lakshmi
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Did the Sequence show a status of 'Aborted/Restartable'? (it must) Did you just Run it or did you Reset it first? You want to do the former as the latter will remove all of the checkpoints.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ds2000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds2000 »

As Chullet said Sequence must be in status of 'Aborted/Restartable' to start from failure point. Moreover, these jobs should be connected with each other.
Nagalakshmi.Krishna
Participant

chulett wrote:Did the Sequence show a status of 'Aborted/Restartable'? (it must) Did you just Run it or did you Reset it first? You want to do the former as the latter will remove all of the checkpoints. ...
Hi Craig,
I have tried both.

Sequence showed a status of 'Aborted/Restartable'.Once I reset it and ran and other time I ran directly with out resetting.Both times run behaviour is same.
FYI: TRAIL 1:I am trying to test the restartability by passing wrong parameters to get it fail and passing right parameters in next run to see whether it is picking up only the failed job.

TRAIL 2: And another time in Job2,I gave wrong schema name in DB2 stage to get it fail and in next run corrected the schema name and ran.Run behaviour is remain same. This I tested , as I thought that check points may change if parameter values changes(with respect to TRAIL 1) hence it might start running from Job1.

But in both TRAILS run behaviour is remain same

Thanks,
LK
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can you confirm for us that you did not enable the 'Do not checkpoint' option in the Job Activity stage?
-craig

Nagalakshmi.Krishna
Participant

chulett wrote:Can you confirm for us that you did not enable the 'Do not checkpoint' option in the Job Activity stage? ...
Hi Craig,
I have tested with both options that by check/un-check 'Do not checkpoint' option in the Job Activity stage. I can see same.

Thanks,
LK
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? We're missing some critical information, it seems. Can you please describe in detail your complete Sequence job design? Include all options and triggers (etc) please.
-craig