Oracle sort in Parallel jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rohanf
Participant

Post by rohanf »

Hi,

I am on the performance tuning phase of the project. Need some help in how the data sorted in Sequential stage can be used as is without resorting.

My Question is:
I have an Oracle stage with 26 million records and to bring down the time taken to execute the job in datastage I want to push the sorting on the oracle side.

The concern is if the data is sorted in oracle(Sequential stage) and then partitioned in datastage on the same key on which it has been sorted, is the sort order maintained?

Thanks & Regards
Rohan
miwinter
Participant

Post by miwinter »

I'm not using v8 right now but does stable sort not still exist as part of partitioning operations within input links? This would allow you to do as you wish
Mark Winter
<i>Nothing appeases a troubled mind more than <b>good</b> music</i>
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's nothing to change the sort order when you're partitioning. Every separate node will be correctly sorted. Should you ever need to bring the data back to sequential processing, make sure that you specify Sort/Merge as the collection algorithm, and base it on the sort keys.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rohanf
Participant

Post by rohanf »

Hi miwinter,

Does the Stable sort option not consume the scratch disk space if the data is already sorted?

My problem is also the amount of space required for scratch disk in case 26 million recods are put into the scratch disk.

However note that, I have tried what Ray had suggested, sorting on Oracle side and Partitioning on the same key does not shuffle the sort order.

Thanks to all

Regards
Rohan