Execute DS job using Web services

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Execute DS job using Web services

Post by rajeev_prabhuat »

Hi,

We have a requirement from client to execute some Datastage job using web services. So please let me know what all are the ways that we can get this accomplished.

Regards
Rajeev Prabhu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do you mean to invoke the DataStage job from a Web service, or to expose the DataStage job AS a Web service?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rsiem
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rsiem »

Uh, just write a web service that'll execute dsjob shell command with the correct parameters.

Not that big of a deal really...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The easiest is probably just to use the dsjob command line interface. The question then arises about providing data to, and retrieving data from, the job. You have a number of choices here including file system files, message queues, named pipes and so on.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

...but ISD, assuming it is licensed, would be more elegant! :) This is where a Job is published as a Web Service (can be any normal Job) and the Job Parameters become the input to that Web Service......it's the simplest and least exciting pattern for ISD, but very do-able.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Post by rajeev_prabhuat »

ray.wurlod wrote:Do you mean to invoke the DataStage job from a Web service, or to expose the DataStage job AS a Web service? ...
Yes Ray it is to invoke Datastage job from web services i.e. call a job while a page is submitted in web. Currently I am writing a bat file which will call dsjob command and execute the job. Is there a better way of doing/achieving it.