How to Parameterize Invocation ID

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajendharreddy
Participant

How to Parameterize Invocation ID

Post by rajendharreddy »

Hi,

I have a job which loads data based on a user defined SQL into target table. Since this job is called by 2 different sequences which run in parellel, I have checked the "Allow Multiple Instance" checkbox both at job level and sequence level.

When I click on the run button I need to manuall enter Invocation ID. I want this to be parameterized. How can I achieve this?

Thanks

Rajendhar
Pagadrai
Participant

Re: How to Parameterize Invocation ID

Post by Pagadrai »

Hi Rajendhar

If you observer the JobActivity Stage in the sequence, you will find an option called InvocationID. here you can give mention the same, instead of providing the value at run time.
rajendharreddy
Participant

Post by rajendharreddy »

Thanks for your reply.

Iam aware of that option, but my requirment is to parametarize it. Please let me know how can this be achieved.

Regards,
Rajendhar
Pagadrai
Participant

Post by Pagadrai »

rajendharreddy wrote:Thanks for your reply.

Iam aware of that option, but my requirment is to parametarize it. Please let me know how can this be achieved.

Regards,
Rajendhar
You can use the job parameter of the sequence and use it for Invocation id. or
You can also create User variables and use it for Invocation Id in the job Activity stage.
rajendharreddy
Participant

Post by rajendharreddy »

How can this be done? Can you please quote an example?
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

What do YOU mean by parameterizing? How do you intend it to change for each run ?
Jasti
Participant

Post by Jasti »

Hi Rajendhar,
Add some parameter (say INVOCATION_ID) to the job parameters of the Job Sequence. Go to the required job activity stage and browse for Invocation Id, there you will be able to find all the job parameters. Select the required one (INVOCATION_ID).
Thanks,
Mohan.A.Jasti.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In other words, you simply create and populate the appropriate job parameter and then use it in the Invocation ID box in the Job Activity stage rather than you hard-coded value. This box only appears for MI jobs and you seem to know which that is.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sureshreddy2009
Participant

May be invoacation ID is changing everytime

Post by sureshreddy2009 »

Hi :lol:
may i know ur real concern , is this?
that is everytime invocation id is changing and how can we manually give evrytime invocation id ,we wanna automatically i take

this is my solution from my end
just add parameter and give parameter name in job activity and before this value assign in job activity write one funtion to take job invocation id to that parameter ,because i think invocation id changes everytime
is this helpful for u
Suresh Reddy
ETL Developer
Research Operations

"its important to know in which direction we are moving rather than where we are"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Professional English - particuarly not "u" and "ur" - is very important on DSXchange. Good English is difficult enough for those whose first language is not English; poor English only makes things harder. Please limit yourself to words that are likely to be found in a language translation dictionary.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sureshreddy2009
Participant

Thanks Ray

Post by sureshreddy2009 »

Thanks For Suggestion
next time before posting i will take care of my words
Suresh Reddy
ETL Developer
Research Operations

"its important to know in which direction we are moving rather than where we are"